Seeking Field Camera Suggestions

A place to talk about photography, the meaning of life and anything that doesn't quite fit elsewhere
Nomad

Seeking Field Camera Suggestions

Post by Nomad » Sun Mar 03, 2013 4:08 pm Etc/GMT-1+01:00

I have an MPP monorail which I don't use for landscapes. I also don't use it for anything else. Great movements, but too big, and too heavy. Consequently, I have decided to sell it on, trade in, whatever, and get a field camera that I'm likely to actually take outside and use.

My heart wants wood and brass. I know the sheet of film at the back doesn't care about this, but I do. (I'm open to persuasion, however.)

It should work with standard 5x4 film holders (like Fidelity Elites) and be okay with a Fujinon SWD 90mm f5.6. If it can fold with the lens fitted, all the better, although I suspect it might be a bit big. If it doesn't, I can live with taking the lens panel off for transporting the kit. The camera needs to be fairly lightweight. It will probably be carried in a backpack along with the glass and other stuff. My tripod is a Manfrotto 055PROB with the in-between ball leveller gizmo and a 410 junior geared head. It's reasonably substantial, great for my Bronica ETRS kit, but not man enough for the MPP - I'd rather not have to change it as a result of changing to a view camera.

Use is for landscapes, mostly with the 90mm, possibly sometimes with a 150mm. Some architecture is a possibility (pretty pictures of castles, cottages, bridges). No interest in close-ups or using longer lenses (so big bellows draw not a major factor).

Budget is somewhere around £500-600. Less is better, of course, but I don't know how low the prices can go for such kit.

Currently, I'm considering the Wista 45DXII. Looks nice and traditional. 3.5lbs seems like a good weight. The little infomation I've found so far suggests that it's quite well made - would those that have used this model agree with that? Is there likely to be a problem with the fixed bellows and 90mm - will tilt and rise/fall be compromised? Are the adjustments easy to make and is everything nice and stable when locked? Does it have detents at the centre points?

Given my criteria, is there any particular reason not to go for a Wista?

What other makes and models of a similar ilk and likely second hand price would be worth considering?

Thanks!

dave_whatever
Forum Hero

Re: Seeking Field Camera Suggestions

Post by dave_whatever » Sun Mar 03, 2013 7:46 pm Etc/GMT-1+01:00

If you can find one on budget (safer if you can run to ~£700ish) second hand then an ebony rsw45 is ideal for your requirements.

Charles Twist
Founder

Post by Charles Twist » Mon Mar 04, 2013 10:02 am Etc/GMT-1+01:00

Ebony's are over-priced. The RSW45 has limited movements in order to reduce its weight - it's LF for hiking. It's also a non-folder, which may be a problem for Nomad. Although not wood and brass, the Chamonix is more camera for £600 new. The Chamonix regularly garners good reviews.
Can't comment on Wista.
The Shenhao of recent years are better built than the early ones I saw in 2005, I believe and could be a good entry point camera.
I used to own a Toyo 45A which is all metal and solid. Fantastic camera for landscapes. Now I use a Sinar F2 because I do a lot more than landscapes.
Good luck!
Charles

dennis
Forum Hero

Post by dennis » Mon Mar 04, 2013 10:13 am Etc/GMT-1+01:00

I can also recommend the Toyo 45A, but it does weigh about 6 1/2 lb, tough as old boots. It works well with 55mm, 90mm & 150mm lenses for me; 55mm has very limited movements & needs a first stage sunken lens board, but does offer an interesting viewpoint. Dennis.

dave_whatever
Forum Hero

Post by dave_whatever » Mon Mar 04, 2013 11:51 am Etc/GMT-1+01:00

Charles Twist wrote:Ebony's are over-priced. The RSW45 has limited movements in order to reduce its weight - it's LF for hiking. It's also a non-folder, which may be a problem for Nomad. Although not wood and brass, the Chamonix is more camera for £600 new. The Chamonix regularly garners good reviews.
The way I read his post, he's after a camera for a fast large-coverage 90mm, and also a 150mm. This is ideal for an RSW45, will get more rise out of the 90mm than the chamonix without having to mess around with extra bag bellows etc. Also sounds like ideally he's after something he can keep a lens on when stored, again the Ebony wins here. Also for mainly wideangle use the ebony removes the need to make sure the camera is parallel and in alignment every time you set it up. This is from someone who currenty owns both the Ebony and a Chamonix and is currently comparing them very closely! For what its designed for, which is foolproof use with wide-to-normal lenses, the RSW45 is brilliant. The Ebony is very expensive new but can still be got for reasonable money second hand. There's one on ebay now starting bids at about 600ish I think.

The thing that would put me off the wista for 90mm use is the stiff cardboardy bellows, and the base tilt on the front, which will probably need locking down every iteration of front tilt you make with a heavy lens, whereas a camera with axis tilt will probably hold the tilt in place without locking, thus making the whole iterative focus process a lot less fiddly.

Charles Twist
Founder

Post by Charles Twist » Mon Mar 04, 2013 1:47 pm Etc/GMT-1+01:00

Thanks, Dave. Nothing beats first-hand experience.
Charles

AbsolutelyN

Post by AbsolutelyN » Mon Mar 04, 2013 3:02 pm Etc/GMT-1+01:00

Having used a Ebony RSW I would agree that it is fast and fool proof for wide to normal lenses but take it out in extremely wet conditions for while and I found it became unusable as the wood swelled making focusing virtually impossible. I guess that's only an issue if you like to photograph in such conditions.

I moved to the Walker Titan Xl which in my opinion is far superior for a fast set-up wide landscape camera - right down to those annoying zero indents on the ebony which make tiny tilts a pain.

However either of those cameras lock you into 47 > 180 lens range which can potentially be limiting.

Not used the Chamonix extensively but it is a very nice camera. Far more fiddly to set up but covers a far broader range of applications - great all round camera.

Tristan
http://www.tristancampbell.co.uk

Trail Images

Post by Trail Images » Mon Mar 04, 2013 7:09 pm Etc/GMT-1+01:00

I have the Wista DXIII Cherrywood Field camera and have used it for quite a few years now. I've found it has worked well for my type of landscape photography to date. Lots of hiking to spots.
Although the 90 & 300 lenses are close to the edges overall. I've not had to use a recessed board on the 90 to date. It could probably use one for a bit more fudge factor. However, after buying my light weight 120 I hardly shoot with the 90 any longer. I did recently mount my 300 on a reversed recessed board to get a slight more extension, that seems to work nicely so far. I bought the Wista like new on eBay years ago now for a decent price at the time. Good luck on your final decision.

Collas

Post by Collas » Mon Mar 04, 2013 8:14 pm Etc/GMT-1+01:00

I use a Tachihara. It seems a little wobbly, but is actually fairly solid. The widest lens I have is a 90mm, but you certainly can't keep a lens in place when folded down for travelling.

Nick

Nomad

Post by Nomad » Tue Mar 05, 2013 12:00 am Etc/GMT-1+01:00

Thanks all for the comments so far. I didn't realise the Wista 45DXII I was considering lacks shift (and swing), and I'm not sure I'd want to lose that. Also, I'm not planning to walk loads of miles or camp out with this kit - 2-3 miles to get somewhere is about the most I'd be interested in. The camera and bits might be okay to carry in a rucksack with other gear, but the lightest of them doesn't stop the tripod being 4.5kg of unweildy lump. So, while ultralight is attractive, I'd rather not have such limited movements.

Which brings me to something a bit heavier than what I was considernig (but still far lighter than the MPP). How about the ShenHao HZX45-IIA? I'm not so keen on the other ShenHaos with aluminium metalwork (the stuff just aint as durable, even if it is hard anodised), but this one seems to offer plenty of movements and stainless steel metalwork, for a smallish penalty in price (less than 1kg).

Nomad

Post by Nomad » Tue Mar 05, 2013 3:06 pm Etc/GMT-1+01:00

Nomad wrote:Thanks all for the comments so far. I didn't realise the Wista 45DXII I was considering lacks shift (and swing),
Don't know where I got the idea that the 45DXII doesn't have swing, when it has front and rear swing.

jennym
Forum Hero

Post by jennym » Tue Mar 05, 2013 5:26 pm Etc/GMT-1+01:00

All cameras have pros and cons and nothing beats having a play with a camera before you buy. Why don't you go to the LF meet up in the Lakes in April? I'm sure you will find a variety of different cameras being used and people will be delighted to show you their own camera and discuss their choice. Just a suggestion. All the best with your search.

Jenny

Nomad

Post by Nomad » Tue Mar 05, 2013 9:47 pm Etc/GMT-1+01:00

Already have stuff on that weekend, I'm afraid.

I'm sure I'll home in on something suitable in any case.

Trail Images

Post by Trail Images » Wed Mar 06, 2013 1:05 am Etc/GMT-1+01:00

Not up on the Wista DXII ability, but the Wista DXIII I have I use most all functions as required for shift, tilts, swings, etc. I'm sure it is not on par with some of the high end units out there, but for my usage I've not had any lack of movements be any issue. As I did state though, my 90 on a standard board is ok but might be better served on a recessed board. My 300 on the other end of travel worked ok too but I did mount it on a reversed recessed board for a bit more extension.

David Rees
Forum Hero

Post by David Rees » Wed Mar 06, 2013 10:33 pm Etc/GMT-1+01:00

I had a Wista DX III as my first LF camera. I was happy with it until I had the chance to try other cameras; then I found it wanting. Base front tilt for focusing I found particuarly tedious; tilt on the lens axis instead of the the base of the front standard is much quicker. Also ,it was a bit awkward to use with anything less than 120mm; a 90mm was usable, but the bellows was constricted; so much so that I actually mounted my 90mm in a recessed board to try to improve matters. I aslo found stability with the Wista to be a problem, esp. in windy conditions -- not that the wind would topple over the camera (all LF cameras can do this -- be warned!) but that it vibrated a great deal with any wind across it.

I then bought two other LF cameras: Ebony 45SU and Walter 5x4XL. After using those for a year, I sold the Wista, simply because I didn't use it anymore.

Eventually, I sold the Ebony, and now just have the Walker XL. Within the limitations of the lens selection (47 to 180) it is a great camera; rock solid, usable in the wet, and with a Boss screen (sadly no longer available I believe) wonderfully easy to focus.

The Wista is not a bad camera to start with; you will learn a great deal from it, and it is capable of making some great images. It also looks really good, esp (for my taste) in rosewood. But unless portability and light weight are high on your list of criteria, there are better field cameras out there.