Seeking Field Camera Suggestions

A place to talk about photography, the meaning of life and anything that doesn't quite fit elsewhere
joolsb
Forum Hero

Re: Seeking Field Camera Suggestions

Post by joolsb » Thu Mar 07, 2013 5:33 pm Etc/GMT-1+01:00

Having used a Ebony RSW I would agree that it is fast and fool proof for wide to normal lenses but take it out in extremely wet conditions for while and I found it became unusable as the wood swelled making focusing virtually impossible. I guess that's only an issue if you like to photograph in such conditions.
True enough but it only takes a few twists of a jeweller's screwdriver to loosen off a few screws and you're back in business. And, in fairness, this problem affects all wooden cameras (except the Chamonix which is made of something akin to MDF).

dave_whatever
Forum Hero

Post by dave_whatever » Thu Mar 07, 2013 5:58 pm Etc/GMT-1+01:00

I must admit I've used my RSW in rainy british weather, snow, sweaty summer evenings and ultra-dry desert conditions and I can't honestly say I've even noticed any significant change in the focussing, certainly nothing that ever caused a problem or anything approaching it "locking up". And as jools says, thats what screwdrivers are for.

AbsolutelyN

Post by AbsolutelyN » Thu Mar 07, 2013 6:19 pm Etc/GMT-1+01:00

Well when you're hiking through and camping in the mountains of the Outer Hebrides with pretty much none stop summer rain for a number of days and the camera locks up from the wood swelling a number of words come to mind. A screwdriver may well fix it but if you have not got one then there is not much you can do about it. I'm sure it does affect most wooden cameras, not just Ebony. After experiencing it though I'd take plastic or metal over wood any day.

vanman
Forum Hero

Post by vanman » Thu Mar 07, 2013 6:34 pm Etc/GMT-1+01:00

You won't beat a Wista 45DX for looks, lightness and I could use a 65mm SA on mine (but that was a squeeze). So that's 65mm to 300mm lens capability, light enough to cart about, very nice and traditional looking and doesn't need half a ton of tripod. I've had mine for over 10 years and still use it if I think that the B&J (can't take 90 mm lenses) or the Sinar are going to be too heavy for the job. Ebonies weigh a ton but they're favoured here as a status symbol by those who have never tried a Sinar.
Vanman.

Andrew Plume
Forum Hero

Post by Andrew Plume » Thu Mar 07, 2013 8:35 pm Etc/GMT-1+01:00

"B & J "

.............................or more commonly known as "bunk and junk"

anyhow, another endorsement for either a Wista or a Sinar, far cheaper than the Ebony guy's

andrew

Andrew Plume
Forum Hero

Post by Andrew Plume » Thu Mar 07, 2013 8:37 pm Etc/GMT-1+01:00

'Mr Nomad'

one can get way too immersed in this

there's been plenty of threads on the same subject over on the LFPF, way way plenty

good luck anyhow

andrew

vanman
Forum Hero

Post by vanman » Fri Mar 08, 2013 12:18 am Etc/GMT-1+01:00

Andrew, I'm shocked, "bunk & junk". I've got one of the good 'uns. 4x5, 5x7, extension rail, the genuine B&J camera tilty thingy and genuine RED bellows. It'll fit onto a light tripod and works really well now that I've added a few extra fiber washers to make sure that things tighten up nicely when I want them to. I think that you're jealous, if you had one this good you'd only flog it.
Vanman

Andrew Plume
Forum Hero

Post by Andrew Plume » Fri Mar 08, 2013 9:17 am Etc/GMT-1+01:00

yes, vanman

apologies indeed

in fact I've simply coined a phrase re B & J that's appeared over on that US forum

best

andrew

vanman
Forum Hero

Post by vanman » Fri Mar 08, 2013 9:58 am Etc/GMT-1+01:00

My God Andrew, don't listen to that crowd, they're all foreigners.
Vanman

Andrew Plume
Forum Hero

Post by Andrew Plume » Fri Mar 08, 2013 10:13 am Etc/GMT-1+01:00

lol

timparkin
Forum Hero

Post by timparkin » Sat Mar 09, 2013 5:14 pm Etc/GMT-1+01:00

Any camera will do the job... A black bag with a dark slide at one end and a lens at the other will do the job.

What you want is something that lets you get on with the photography and the best deal for this I've found is the Chamonix. Lightweight and yet functional enough to take most lenses.

I still use my Ebony predominantly just because it is so satisfying and gives me more movements to be creative with (simple things like rear shift allow simple recomposition by sliding the back). But when I want a nice lightweight camera that gets the job done I go for my Chamonix..

Tim
Waiting for the developing bill - 2 hours (and it's so small now!)

Thingy
Forum Hero

Post by Thingy » Sat Mar 16, 2013 1:18 am Etc/GMT-1+01:00

The key thing if you go into a reputable camera shop with a wide range of LF cameras, if you stroke an Ebony.... you're hooked. :lol: :$

I don't know about the 45RSW, but with the 45SU you can use the standard (universal) bellows and get full movements with the Schneider 80XL. You can even use them with the Schneider 58XL on a flat lens board though movements are fiddly without using the bag bellows. If you are using a Nikon 90/f4.5, it is easier to use bag bellows, but they can be rather pricey - except for the Shen Hao.
Love is an Ebony mounted with a Cooke PS945.......

Charles Twist
Founder

Post by Charles Twist » Sat Mar 16, 2013 10:52 am Etc/GMT-1+01:00

Thingy wrote:The key thing if you go into a reputable camera shop with a wide range of LF cameras, if you stroke an Ebony.... you're hooked. :lol: :$
Clearly the sign of a weak mind. 8)
Charles

Nomad

Post by Nomad » Thu May 23, 2013 6:54 pm Etc/GMT-1+01:00

A little follow-up... I just took delivery of a Shen Hao HZX45 IIa, mint-, and at a price I failed to resist. Just had a little fiddle about with it, and I'm happy so far. Seems well put together. One thing to note is that the Fujinon SWD 90mm f5.6 will just fit in the front. The rear element on this lens is pretty big (mount is 80mm in diameter), and a bit of bellows extension helps it to go in. No issues with depth - the lens protrudes about 40mm behind the flange and is still about 15-20mm clear of the ground glass.

One question about the ground glass - the ground surface and grid lines are on the rear face (ie, the outside), and I'm a bit concerned that using a loupe could damage the surface. Is it fitted the right way round? On my MPP monorail, the glass is shiny side out, and that seems less worrisome.

Dave Tolcher

Post by Dave Tolcher » Fri May 24, 2013 10:07 am Etc/GMT-1+01:00

Congratulations on the purchase.

That doesn't sound right, normally, depends.. but you may have it the wrong way round or missing a cover glass or both ! You'll have to get someone with the camera brand to give a definitive answer but I would start off assuming its wrong and reverse it.