CS6 subscriptions

A place to talk about photography, the meaning of life and anything that doesn't quite fit elsewhere
Thingy
Forum Hero

CS6 subscriptions

Post by Thingy » Wed May 29, 2013 1:37 pm Etc/GMT-1+01:00

I see that Adobe are going ahead with their decision to charge a monthly subscription :evil: for new users of CS6 (or am I confused) according to Thom Hogan (& Nikon Magazine): http://www.bythom.com/index.htm

Is there an effective and affordable alternative to using colour profiles when scanning in transparencies to correct for scanner colour without using CS6? :?
Love is an Ebony mounted with a Cooke PS945.......

Emmanuel Bigler
Forum Hero

Digital image processing for the hobbyist

Post by Emmanuel Bigler » Sat Jun 01, 2013 4:55 pm Etc/GMT-1+01:00

Is there an effective and affordable alternative to using colour profiles when scanning in transparencies to correct for scanner colour without using CS6?

Hello from France !

There are two on-going discussions on the US LF forum

"Alternatives to PS - what they can and can not do? "
http://www.largeformatphotography.info/ ... can-not-do

"Any Reason To Now Buy CS6?"
http://www.largeformatphotography.info/ ... ow-Buy-CS6

My understanding is that

1/ people using photoshop(TM) do not find any alternative to it
2/ strange people (like me) who have hardly ever used photoshop do not see where the problem is ;)

Not kidding: I've used photoshop once in my life, to remove dust on a high-resolution scan of one of my 6x9 [off-limits here] and 6x12 colour and SCALA slides. But I did not prepare myself the final files sent for printing, so I do not know.

As far as I am concerned, my needs in digital image processing have slowly evolved together with what the GIMP can offer to me. And to date, the GIMP knows what a colour profile is.
For B&W since I have a 5x4" enlarger I do not see even the point about scanning my B&W LF negatives. I have an EPSON flatbed, a 3200, for kind of "digital contact proofs" only.

For colour prints, I have them printed by a lab, so I give the negative or the slide to the lab and get a print in return at a nominal cost; this would cost me an arm & leg if I had 100 large format prints to do each year. But for an annual expense of 2-3 large colour prints per year, to me it is more efficient to pay for the service than spending time & money in a high-end scanner and a professional digital image processing software.

But I'm an amateur and I have no customer to serve.

For all kinds of small imaging hobbyist's stuff, the GIMP under LINUX does, for me, everything I need.
And yes, I know that the GIMP cannot yet manipulate 16-bit images, and when the GIMP will be able to do it, I'll go for 16-bit if required.
But Ansel Adams never even used the GIMP nor any digital image processing software, so I'd better use my enlarger more. :mrgreen:

dave_whatever
Forum Hero

Re: CS6 subscriptions

Post by dave_whatever » Sat Jun 01, 2013 5:11 pm Etc/GMT-1+01:00

Thingy wrote:Is there an effective and affordable alternative to using colour profiles when scanning in transparencies to correct for scanner colour without using CS6? :?
If you use Vuescan for example you can (as I do) apply the colour profile for the scanner at the scanning stage automatically, then import your image to Lightroom/Aperture/Gimp/whatever and work on it as you would any other image.