Lens protection

Find out about suppliers and repairers in the UK and abroad
graham_charlton

Lens protection

Post by graham_charlton » Thu Apr 25, 2013 9:07 am Etc/GMT-1+01:00

I thought some may be interested in the cheap lens protection I've made for for my kit. The materials are a cheap camping mat for the 1 cm thick foam and a roll of gaffer tape to hold it together. The sides are a single strip of foam, cut about 3mm longer than the dimension from the lens board to the outside of the cap. To cut the circle for the end of the cap, I simply hunted around the house for something about the right diameter, such as a roll of Sellotape, a jam-jar lit or a bean tin to use as a template to mark the blank. The circle doesn't need to be the exactly right diameter because the gaffer tape will hold everything together firmly. The only issue I've had is that I've made one or two a little too tight so the lens cap gets pulled off with my protective cap.

I've also made a simple satchel for my Toyo 45 AII and all these items can now be placed into a rucksack for those mountain days, without worrying about damage.

All comments welcomed, Graham.
LensCaps.jpg
LensCaps.jpg (232.81 KiB) Viewed 16076 times

Ivelin Metodiev

Re: Lens protection

Post by Ivelin Metodiev » Fri May 17, 2019 9:31 am Etc/GMT-1+01:00

After experiencing damage from soft lens caps I've gone the road of using step-up rings to make all my lenses the biggest filter size I've got (67mm). This provides additional clearance to allow me to use hard plastic snap-on lens caps from DSLR lenses. However, this still leaves the back element and the shutter levers sort of exposed. I've long considered making something to protect them without adding bulk and weight to an already hefty setup. I had an idea similar to what you've made, but with a bit more protection added in the form of fiberglass molding where the duct tape is on yours.