Skye and Mull

Discussion about locations, interesting or otherwise...
Tom Perkins

Skye and Mull

Post by Tom Perkins » Mon Jul 02, 2007 2:48 pm Etc/GMT-1+01:00

Hi,
I will be heading up to Scotland with my parents and the dog on saturday for a week on Mull, followed by a week on Skye.
I'm shooting 4x5 on an Ebony and my Dad will be using a Hasselblad.
Have a feeling it might be a bit wet :roll:.
We will be staying in Salen on Mull and Torrin on Skye. Just wondered if anyone has any tips like good locations, or good walks to go on, things to take, etc.
Anything really.
Thanks,
Tom.

masch
Founder

Post by masch » Mon Jul 02, 2007 4:55 pm Etc/GMT-1+01:00

Tom,

gari is the person to talk to about Mull. See the thread from a little while ago...

The last time I was on Skye was about 12 years ago. I seem to remember that the area around the north was very nice, but it is all a bit hazy in my mind by now, unfortunately...

Bring some good impregnating oil for the camera, though :)

Marc
Real Photographers use METAL cameras.....
...and break their backs in the process... :)
http://homepage.mac.com/mjjs/Photography/

Lynne Evans
Forum Hero

Post by Lynne Evans » Mon Jul 02, 2007 5:55 pm Etc/GMT-1+01:00

Hi Tom

Fidden on the Ross of Mull is good for rocks and sand (great sunsets if you're lucky too!) and there are some great views and a nice river on the A849 through Glen More. On Skye the Trotternish Ridge is an absolutely stunning walk especially around the Quiraing, but photographically try to avoid the cliched viewpoints - or do them differently.

Midge repellent is a must - Avon cosmetics Skin So Soft may sound a bit girlie (and never claims to be an insect repellent) but comes highly recommended by me, and is apparently issued by the Scottish Forestry Commission to their foresters!

Hope you get some reasonable weather

gari
Forum Hero

Post by gari » Mon Jul 02, 2007 7:43 pm Etc/GMT-1+01:00

Hi Tom. what time of year are you coming? I have lots of locations that don't get much traffic. Everyone goes to a few honeypot areas, you see them published quite regularly. If you PM me with what you want to do I can give you more specific info. walks etc as well as photo stuff.
There is some great walking here on the Island, again often overlooked as we are so close to Glencoe and the Nevis range.

regards

Gari
you don't need eyes to see, you need vision!

Charles Twist
Founder

Post by Charles Twist » Mon Jul 02, 2007 9:03 pm Etc/GMT-1+01:00

I really liked Mull and definitely intend to spend more than a couple days there next time. If you are interested in natural history and can coordinate with the tides, I recommend a visit to McCulloch's tree. It's a 5-hour walk (there and back) to see the charred remains of a tree, but bear in mind said tree is 150 million years old, and it gets pretty impressive. The Carsaig arches I have not been to, but again meant to be pretty good and again one to get right with the tides - next time.
Skye: from S to N, there's Elgol, the Cuillins, Neist point, Sligachan, the Old Man and the Quiraing. All done to death, but great places. To a certain extent, why go to Skye and miss out on what it's famous for? Or put another way, if you're got to give them a wide berth, it's all very normally Scottish - hills, bogs, cliffs. The main problem at this time of year is how early the sun gets up. It's a good idea to do the recce on one day and the photography the next, if you have the time (I have never succeeded).
The other thing to bear in mind is that both islands are large and will take a couple hours to get from one end to the other - too far to go there and back in a day, I think.
Enjoy your trip.
Charles

Tom Perkins

Post by Tom Perkins » Mon Jul 02, 2007 11:00 pm Etc/GMT-1+01:00

Thanks everyone.

gari
Forum Hero

Post by gari » Wed Jul 04, 2007 8:50 pm Etc/GMT-1+01:00

Hi Tom, tried posting but there seems to be a problem.
Sunday sounds good, I shall try to post my cell no later this eve.

Cheers
Gari

Joanna Carter
Founder
Workshop Images: http://grandes-images.com/fr/Paysages/P ... _2009.html

Post by Joanna Carter » Wed Jul 04, 2007 9:48 pm Etc/GMT-1+01:00

It would seem the server is playing up a bit. Posts are being accepted, despite the error message
Reassure yourself - stroke an Ebony

gari
Forum Hero

Post by gari » Thu Jul 05, 2007 8:34 am Etc/GMT-1+01:00

Thanks Joanne.

Gari

Tom Perkins

Post by Tom Perkins » Thu Aug 02, 2007 11:57 am Etc/GMT-1+01:00

Hi everyone, just like to say thanks for all the help, especially Gari, who shared so many locations on Mull, and even met up for a shoot one evening, sorry I didn't contact you about meeting up again Gari but the weather was pretty lowsy for the rest of the time on mull. We got some great light on sky though.

This is a bit late, I got back over a week ago, but I thought I would wait until I had some images finished before I posted, so here we are, just three images finished so far, takes me a wile to scan /process them.

Thanks,
Tom.

Cuillins from Elgol:

Final light, Elgol:

Loch Na Keal, Mull:

SteveH
Forum Hero

Post by SteveH » Thu Aug 02, 2007 12:06 pm Etc/GMT-1+01:00

Nice shots Tom; look forward to seeing more. I wish mine were as good!

I'll be in Wester Ross (Badachro) in September for 2 weeks and hope to get over to the Outer Hebrides. Any tips on locations anyone?

Steve
Big is beautiful.

alangolding

Post by alangolding » Thu Aug 02, 2007 1:59 pm Etc/GMT-1+01:00

Hi Tom
I think your shots are very good. You make me want to get out and try harded on my own shots. I have booked two weeks in October to go back to Glencoe and Torrendon. It is a fine part of the world.
Alan Golding

gari
Forum Hero

Post by gari » Thu Aug 02, 2007 5:50 pm Etc/GMT-1+01:00

Nice pictures Tom, shame about the weather, though it looks like you had a good week on Skye.
Hope you enjoyed discovering Mull, it is a remarkable place. Hope I wasn't too exited about my new homeland!!! As you saw I just love it here.
I have included a couple of shots from the eve at Loch na Keal. I have several to upload to the website when I have scanned and proccesed 'em.

regards

Gari

Ben More, Bienn Fhada, Bienn nan Ghabar and Bienn Ghraig across Loch na Keal

Looking down Loch na Keal toward Loch Ba, Ben talaidh can just be seen behind the left hand ridgeline.

Tom Perkins

Post by Tom Perkins » Thu Aug 02, 2007 6:57 pm Etc/GMT-1+01:00

Thanks for the replies,
Alan, Glencoe will look great in October, I stopped by on my way home from Skye, but the light wasn't very good. Amazing location though.

Really nice shots Gari, I have a couple from that evening too, but I need to push the exposure on them before I scan. I'll sort out the some more to post next week, cause tomorrow I'm off to Yorkshire for a Joe Cornish workshop.

gari
Forum Hero

Post by gari » Thu Aug 02, 2007 9:56 pm Etc/GMT-1+01:00

Thanks Tom, good to see you are keeping good company.

I look forward to seeing more of your work, I was impressed watching you work the evening we got together.

Say Hi to your dad from me too.

Gari