Suffolk?

Discussion about locations, interesting or otherwise...
Paul Mitchell

Suffolk?

Post by Paul Mitchell » Thu Jan 24, 2008 3:32 pm Etc/GMT-1+01:00

Following a brief chat with Joanna a few weeks ago I promised to champion Suffolk as a possible location (I think she also like the place!). Although new to LF i am not new the beautiful Suffolk landscape having spent nearly every holiday there for the past 20 years! Indeed I gained my ARPS with a panel of prints taken in Suffolk.

They're all Bronica and Xpan images but hope to re-visit some of these locations again this year with my new LF gear.

Lots of other Suffolk views can be seen on my Flickr site at http://www.flickr.com/photos/tobchasinglight/sets/

I'll be up there throughout the year, will post dates of planned visits to see if anyone fancies a day out.

Paul

Jonathan Perkins

Post by Jonathan Perkins » Thu Jan 24, 2008 4:02 pm Etc/GMT-1+01:00

Hi Paul,

I would be interested in meeting up in Suffolk. Looks like you've spent some time at Benacre! We've had several holidays in and around Southwold (mmm Fish & Chips from the hut at the harbour, and of course Adnams :D ).

Also very partial to the North Norfolk coast from Wells to Holme...

Jonathan

Paul Mitchell

Post by Paul Mitchell » Thu Jan 24, 2008 4:20 pm Etc/GMT-1+01:00

Oh yes I completely forgot to mention Adnams!

I hope to start visiting again sometime in March (weather permitting) so will let you know Jonathan. Have spotted a few Suffolk scenes on your sons website.

Paul

Steve Bell

Post by Steve Bell » Fri Jan 25, 2008 9:36 pm Etc/GMT-1+01:00

I'd certainly be interested in a day outing to Suffolk. Last time I visited the rocks by Southwold Pier were very new, and there was sea defence work still going on.
Steve Bell
Aylesbury, Bucks

keeds

Suffolk visit

Post by keeds » Sun Mar 02, 2008 10:25 pm Etc/GMT-1+01:00

I'm in Suffolk. Don't have many local haunts though, but would be great to meet up with some folks...

Andrew

Paul Mitchell

Re: Suffolk visit

Post by Paul Mitchell » Mon Mar 03, 2008 11:45 am Etc/GMT-1+01:00

keeds wrote:I'm in Suffolk. Don't have many local haunts though, but would be great to meet up with some folks...

Andrew
Andrew, are you the same 'keeds' that has just bought a Chamonix 45N-1?

Paul

keeds

Post by keeds » Mon Mar 03, 2008 9:25 pm Etc/GMT-1+01:00

I am. Are you on APUG or LFPF? Why the interest?

buze

Post by buze » Tue Mar 04, 2008 1:41 am Etc/GMT-1+01:00

keeds, Paul and I have one since Christmas, thats probably why :-)

Happy with yours ? :D

Paul Mitchell

Post by Paul Mitchell » Tue Mar 04, 2008 10:19 am Etc/GMT-1+01:00

Keeds

Although not an active member of LFPF I was following the Chamonix thread prior to their delivery just before Christmas and remember seeing your name.

We have a holiday home in Suffolk so visit quite often, will let you know when I'm around the area if you fancy a day out...

Paul

keeds

chamonix

Post by keeds » Tue Mar 04, 2008 12:30 pm Etc/GMT-1+01:00

They sure are gorgeous things. It's a little more time consuming to initially setup but to make changes to swings and tilts etc it is a breeze. I've actually spent more time doing 8x10 since I've got it so it's hardly been out really.

I'm currently waiting for a 7x17 from Richard Ritter and I need to free up some cash soon so this might have to go.... :-(

keeds

Post by keeds » Tue Mar 04, 2008 12:31 pm Etc/GMT-1+01:00

Paul Mitchell wrote:Keeds

Although not an active member of LFPF I was following the Chamonix thread prior to their delivery just before Christmas and remember seeing your name.

We have a holiday home in Suffolk so visit quite often, will let you know when I'm around the area if you fancy a day out...

Paul
Paul, that would be great. It's always nice to get out with other people. Thanks.

Joanna Carter
Founder
Workshop Images: http://grandes-images.com/fr/Paysages/P ... _2009.html

Post by Joanna Carter » Thu May 08, 2008 10:41 am Etc/GMT-1+01:00

Well, seeing as the enthusiasm for a formal workshop in the Anglia region seems to be, shall we say, lacking :P may I cordially invite anyone who is local to the area to get in touch with me if you are interested in getting out and about between Wednesday 14th and Sunday 18th May.

Helen and I will be staying in Thorndon, near Eye and travelling out to both the Suffolk and Norfolk coasts.

All info on worthwhile locations would be also be useful.

Thanks

Joanna
Reassure yourself - stroke an Ebony

Paul Mitchell

Post by Paul Mitchell » Fri May 09, 2008 2:19 pm Etc/GMT-1+01:00

Hi Joanna

I was up in Suffolk last weekend but unfortunately cannot make it back there whilst you're around. I can however give you have a few suggestions as to where to go in Suffolk. All the places I've listed go from North to South, starting at:

Covehithe - Situated just North of Southwold, park your car near the church. From there you can walk north to 'Benacre Broad' or south to 'Covehithe Broad', I would probably do the latter as a good part of Benacre Broad is roped off at the moment due to the nesting Terns, they can also be vicious little bu**ers, continually trying to dive bomb you! Best time for both is early morning/evening.

Southwold - Pretty seaside town with lots of jolly beach huts and a picturesque pier, be there early to catch the light and more importantly avoid the tourists. Also have a trip down to the Harbour where there's lots of old fisherman's huts, boats etc. Park near the Harbour Inn as it's free, you have to pay at the other end :-( You also may want to take the small ferry (if it's running) across to Walberswick where there's more old huts, boats etc. and sand dunes down by the shoreline.

Blythburgh - Wonderful old church set amongst the reed beds.

Dunwich - Used to be a great place for boats but unfortunately there's only about two left!

Sizewell Beach - Don't be put off by the looming presence of the Nuclear Power station as there's some nice images to be had down on the beach, more boats, huts etc.

Thorpeness - Weird, purpose built Edwardian holiday village but down by the mere there's lots of brightly coloured rowing boats. It also has a windmill and the famous 'House in the Clouds', a converted water tower that has a house perched at the top.

Aldeburgh - A short drive away from Thorpeness, on the way you can stop off at the 'giant shell' on the beach. Again lots of boats, huts, rusty machinery etc. on the beach.

Snape Maltings - Famous for the Benjamin Britain music school and concert hall and is surrounded by picturesque reed beds. Some images of dereliction can also be found in the old part of the Maltings.

Orford - Carry on through the village down to the Quay. To the south of the Quay are a few old derelict boats, watch out for the mud though! It's a day trip but you can always take the National Trust ferry across to Orford Ness where there's a classic red & white lighthouse and a collection of buildings used for nuclear weapons testing left over from the cold war.

Woodbridge - Small market town with an interesting quayside.

These are just a few of the 'easy to get to' locations, there's lots more tucked away places but I think the ones listed should give you a taste of Suffolk.

Hope you have a jolly trip!

Paul

Thingy
Forum Hero

Post by Thingy » Fri Oct 10, 2008 2:21 pm Etc/GMT-1+01:00

I have some monochrome photos taken of Suffolk in 35mm film, taken in Shotley Gate in 2002 (the former home of HMS Ganges). Sadly much of what I photographed I will be unable to redo with my LF camera as it has/is being demolished to make way for a housing development. :cry: However the old Mast is still there (sadly missing the shrouds - so no opportunity for making aerial images from the Devil's Elbow :lol: ) and the Martello Tower so maybe I can take some final images before the last vestiges of Hell On Earth are demolished. :wink:

Here are some of those images:

General Mess and Canteen

The Mast (143 high) in 2002...

And as it was in its heyday....

The Mast in 1969...

A Juniors' Messdeck... This WAS taken with a LF camera, by the official photographer R A Fisk back in 1967.

I'm sooooo glad I wasn't a boy there! :D