Budget accommodation at Glencoe or Rannoch Moor?

Discussion about locations, interesting or otherwise...
Mike M

Budget accommodation at Glencoe or Rannoch Moor?

Post by Mike M » Mon Mar 02, 2009 7:10 pm Etc/GMT-1+01:00

Myself and a friend are planning a trip to either Glencoe or Rannoch Moor for 5 days of intensive photography next month. We aim to stay for 5 night but we want to do it on the cheap.
Has anyone here got any suggestions/tips and URL's to help us out?

Apple
Forum Hero

Post by Apple » Mon Mar 02, 2009 9:04 pm Etc/GMT-1+01:00

We've recently had 8 days at the King's House Hotel (www.kingy.com) and you can't get much closer unless you've got either a tent or a ski-lift pass...

Good luck with the weather - we were expecting snow from watching the hotel's webcam but virtually every day was rain apart from one on Skye when it was dull but dry and no sunset as we'd hoped.

These pictures were on the last afternoon before we set off home - unfortunately it's not LF as the Ebony's not officially weatherproof and the digi is...

The murk in the background is what we had all week but without the decent storm lighting - you couldn't see Buachaille Etive Mor from the hotel lounge most of the time :(

I gather at the hotel you get a bit of discount for having over so many nights stay - you'd have to ask them.

You can always stay down in Glencoe village or Ballachulish at the other end of the glen but you've to factor in approx. 25 miles round trip to Glen Etive top each time. The road from Glen Coe down Glen Etive is approx 17 miles one way but they've blocked off the very bottom to uprate the jetty for forestry operations so it stops at the nearest point of the sea loch...

Rannoch Moor has all sorts of opportunities if the weather's in your favour or you and your gear can stand it...

Andrew
Andrew
Full Member of the Tearoom Appreciation Society - affiliated to UKLFPG.

joolsb
Forum Hero

Post by joolsb » Tue Mar 03, 2009 8:05 am Etc/GMT-1+01:00

unfortunately it's not LF as the Ebony's not officially weatherproof and the digi is...
What's not weatherproof about an Ebony? There are no electronics to go wrong and about the worst that can happen is water in the fresnel (which is easily fixed when you're back in the dry). I've happily ued my 45SU in the rain with no problems at all.

Or you can take the JC approach and use a golfing brolly attached to a monopod, bungied to your tripod leg. So there's no excuse to be lazy and pull out the digi.... :wink: :lol:

Charles Twist
Founder

Post by Charles Twist » Tue Mar 03, 2009 8:43 am Etc/GMT-1+01:00

a golfing brolly attached to a monopod, bungied to your tripod leg
That must be just great in the slightest breeze...
Tim P was saying recently that his Ebony seized up in v. damp conditions, requiring a few nuts be loosened. O the joys of wooden cameras!
Regards,
Charles

Mike M

Post by Mike M » Tue Mar 03, 2009 9:31 am Etc/GMT-1+01:00

Thanks for the tips Andrew. After a bit of Googling last night I found a couple hostels which I think we're going to try.

As for the weather, I always have a small collapsable umbrella strapped to my bag but I think I'II upgrade it to a golfing brolley for this trip! :D
I'm just praying that Mike Walker will have finished my Titan XL before we go, I've heard Walker cameras are pretty rugged so this should be a good tester for it.

Apple
Forum Hero

Post by Apple » Tue Mar 03, 2009 7:15 pm Etc/GMT-1+01:00

Mike M wrote:I think I'II upgrade it to a golfing brolley for this trip! :D
Mary Poppins, here we come on Rannoch Moor :shock:

I think I've seen Jack Dykinga with a brolly attached to a tripod in a forest in his nature book but it wasn't windy between all the redwoods...

Apparently, Mothercare make something for fastening brollies to prams which may be of use but 'long' and 'sharp' exposures will probably be mutually exclusive if you try it!

Best option is a storm-proof type of umbrella and some "assistant" / mug to hold it... I took my golfing umbrella with me (it had to be the tour version to get it stormproof and only approx 70" diameter) but never used it as the views weren't worth it with all the cloud / drizzle / murk :cry:

Andrew

gari
Forum Hero

Post by gari » Wed Mar 04, 2009 11:33 am Etc/GMT-1+01:00

Hi Mike, the Youth Hostel in Glencoe is worth a visit, you can call them on 01855811219 or book online at syha.org.uk. I have just checked and they have plenty of availability, cost would be about £14.50 for members,+£1 per person for non members.

I haven't been for a few days as I am on Islay at present but there will be lots of snowcover still I imagine. It is in fact snowing here as we speak!

Gari
you don't need eyes to see, you need vision!

Apple
Forum Hero

Post by Apple » Wed Mar 04, 2009 1:19 pm Etc/GMT-1+01:00

gari wrote:I haven't been for a few days as I am on Islay at present but there will be lots of snowcover still I imagine. It is in fact snowing here as we speak!

Gari
Typical, snow before we went, rained all the time we were there and no snow and then it was on radio this morning that A82 at Glencoe was closed due to snow... :cry:

Andrew

timparkin
Forum Hero

Post by timparkin » Thu Apr 02, 2009 2:30 pm Etc/GMT-1+01:00

Charles Twist wrote:
a golfing brolly attached to a monopod, bungied to your tripod leg
That must be just great in the slightest breeze...
Tim P was saying recently that his Ebony seized up in v. damp conditions, requiring a few nuts be loosened. O the joys of wooden cameras!
Regards,
Charles
Yep.. not nice .. However I've since been out in wet conditions and the camera has been fine (although it did get tighter once wet).. I think it was over tight to begin with ..

I have spare lightweight tripod that holds my collapsible brolly. As it's not connected to my main tripod, it doesn't matter about slight wind (obviously a good scottish gust would probably collapse it).

Tim
Waiting for the developing bill - 2 hours (and it's so small now!)