Participants Gallery - a rethink

Messages from the Administrators and instructions on how to use the forum
Paul

Participants Gallery - a rethink

Post by Paul » Sun Aug 27, 2006 9:20 am Etc/GMT-1+01:00

It has been decided to revamp the "Participants" gallery! The initial idea behind this gallery was to showcase photos taken on the workshops. Therefore as from the forthcoming GLENCOE workshop this gallery will be renamed as the "Workshops Gallery" and will ONLY exhibit photographs taken on our gatherings. Therefore, if you have attended a workshop but not submitted images your details will be removed (at the push of a button :lol: )from the list of participants! If you'd like your details to remain in the list then you will need to submit photos taken .... you've guessed - at a workshop! Paul

uraniumnitrate
Forum Hero

Post by uraniumnitrate » Wed Aug 30, 2006 8:07 am Etc/GMT-1+01:00

It's not gonna be easy for us outside of the UK! :( Why not two galleries one for the workshop and one for the stady exhibition? just a thought!

Joanna Carter
Founder
Workshop Images: http://grandes-images.com/fr/Paysages/P ... _2009.html

Post by Joanna Carter » Wed Aug 30, 2006 9:25 am Etc/GMT-1+01:00

This is the UK Large Format Photography Group, to which you are welcome, as a guest, whether in the UK or not, but due to bandwidth considerations, we would prefer to reserve that bandwidth for pictures primarily taken by people who have actually attended the workshops. The Participants gallery was intended to showcase the work of those people who had gone to the time and expense to join us on a workshop.

This forum sprang up after the group had evolved a little bit, and was intended, primarily, as a place of communication for UK people connected with the workshops. Due to the nature of the internet, people like yourself from outside of the UK were also able to see and participate in discussions and are also welcome to join us at workshops, if they can make the journey.

In consideration of who's pictures we place in galleries, we have to regard the capacity of the web server providers who kindly help us out with hosting services. Such support can get quite expensive and we are not a commercial organisation (come to that we are not really that organised :lol: )

The current website is managed by Charles, out of the goodness of his heart. If you want to show off your photos, then the link you have provided to your own site or hosting service should be sufficient for most people to find your pictures.

Please don't think we are trying to be elitist or anything, it is a matter of simple economics. We are just a collection of individuals, who have usually already spent far too much on equipment, wanting to have a place to communicate for as little expense as possible.

There are other LF groups available on the web for those who feel that our policies may be too restrictive :)

uraniumnitrate
Forum Hero

Post by uraniumnitrate » Wed Aug 30, 2006 10:17 am Etc/GMT-1+01:00

Yes I understand and I wouldn't mind to be on the workshops and proboly I might just do that sometime if I can manage it or arrange it in the future!

It's just a site where you have your images feels like a little bit more of home for all of us!

frankie!

Nigels
Forum Hero

Post by Nigels » Thu Jun 21, 2007 12:39 pm Etc/GMT-1+01:00

Has a rule been decided/published for the inclusion of photos on this site. I think there should be something published in announcements so that everyone can be clear about expectations.
Just as a suggestion, and to mirror what appears to be the situation at the moment, can I suggest that each member be allowed the following - 5 images from each workshop attended plus 5 additional images if at least one workshop has been attended plus images submitted for Projects.
I think its a bit of a balancing act between needing images to showcase the group to promote participation in the wrokshops and not burdening our poor webmaster with too much work.
Comments?
Regs, Nigels.
[User of Ebony 45SU + 58, 80, 150 & 270 mm Lenses, and all the essential bits]
"He wears the sweeping landscape in the crystal of his eye."

Charles Twist
Founder

Post by Charles Twist » Sat Jun 23, 2007 2:10 pm Etc/GMT-1+01:00

not burdening our poor webmaster with too much work.
I am glad you noticed. Anyone wishing to make a donation, please contact me directly.
Seriously, yes, Nigel, what you describe seems to be pretty much the plan for now, although we are fairly relaxed in its administration.
Charles