CANCELLED - Anyone fancy Iceland in June 2010?

Get-togethers and meetings organised by members
PAUL O
Founder

Re: Anyone fancy Iceland in June 2010?

Post by PAUL O » Sat Jul 18, 2009 8:36 am Etc/GMT-1+01:00

There seems to be a bit of interest in this proposed workshop so I've done a little more research regarding prices, etc:

At present the following have shown interest:

1. Me :D
2. Joolsb
3. Nigels
4. Lynne (possible)
5. Paul A
6. Mrs A
7. Jenny (possible)
8. Tim
9. Dave T
10. Charles (possible)
11. Mrs Charles T (possible)

I think I need to start a "reserve list" now - on a first come first served basis should anyone from the above list not be able to make it.

I have chatted with a few people and they have come up with alternative strategies to further reduce the cost of the trip 8) . These ideas involve:

1. Camping to cut down on accommodation costs. You can wild camp anywhere within reason in Iceland - but need landowner's permission if it is within 1km of a farm. There are also campsites dotted around the R1 Ring Road that have facilities ranging from showers to swimming pools (at a small cost). The only drawback to camping, IMO having wild camped for my first visit to Iceland, is that it does involve a great deal of additional equipment and I prefer my weight allowance to be used up with camera gear rather than sleeping bags, tents and pots and pans! Also, Icelandic weather can be very fickle and camping (without correct gear) ain't much fun!

2. Using hostels or Edda to cut down on accommodation costs. Iceland has a well-established chain of hostels that are dotted around the country and in the sumer months many community schools turn themselves to Edda - a sort of dormitory set up where classrooms are converted into dorms! Both of these options are slightly cheaper than the farmhouse option but again, from my experience of hostels in Iceland tend to be crowded (especially in Summer) and not as many to choose from. I have no experience of Edda! If we restrict the choice of farmhouse to a fairly basic affair (which is still good) then the cost is on a par with the hostels/Edda ... and you get breakfast thrown in!

3. Using public transport to cut down on vehicle rental costs. Iceland has a superb public transport system in the form of "monster" 4 wheel drive buses that actually run to timetable - an amazing sight seeing one crossing a swollen river with ease! There are no trains in Iceland but there is also a well-established internal flight system as there are airfields all over the island and this can reduce travel times. I have had a look at the public transport option and my only reservations are thus: we would HAVE to rent a vehicle for some of the trip as the locations we will visit will demand a high degree of independence and flexibility. If we rented a vehicle and then used public transport for parts of the trip (for example visiting Landmannalaugar in the heart of the interior which is only accessible in high clearance 4x4 is the most used bus route) we would incur quite heavy additional surcharges from the vehicle rental company as they would have to collect the vehicle a great distance from their office. We would then need to arrange another vehicle after using public transport and again this would involve a heavy surcharge. The same problem arises with using internal flights - the heavy surcharges by the rental companies.

I hope I don't appear negative here :shock: I appreciate that the cost of this trip is not cheap, however, by visiting as a group the cost per person is about £300 less than trying to do the same trip as an individual traveller.

Up-to-date costs:
If everyone in the list goes (11 of us) and we stick to the initial idea of farms, etc, then the cost would be reduced slightly to approx £1090 per person. This would include renting 2 Minivans (fancy driving Tim?) and splitting passengers and gear between both vehicles. These are 9 seater, comfortable vehicles but are NOT 4x4 so we would not be covered on insurance to do the Landmannalaugar route (no real problem as this wasn't on my original list of locations). They are the cheapest minivan option that would allow us to travel in some degree of comfort and also accommodate our gear. I feel that it is important that we are as comfortable as possible as driving distances can be HUGE!!!!!!! There is nothing worse than being in a cramped vehicle 8)

If the 7 of us that have indicated a "definitely" then the costs would be thus: approx £1160 per person. This would include renting one vehicle.

The maximum number would be 16. This number would cost would involve 2 vehicles (big ones!) and the cost per person would be approx £980.

I would be happy to hear people's thoughts on all of the above and if anyone has any other ideas then feel free to email me or post here.

If anyone has any questions regarding anything to do with the trip or what equipment is needed then feel free! I will update my Blog (I'm getting good at this!) with my kit lists!

Joanna Carter
Founder
Workshop Images: http://grandes-images.com/fr/Paysages/P ... _2009.html

Post by Joanna Carter » Sat Jul 18, 2009 8:57 am Etc/GMT-1+01:00

Patrick Dixon wrote:Does she cook?
Wow! are you asking for a thwack around the head? Or don't you know any women photographers?
Reassure yourself - stroke an Ebony

PAUL O
Founder

Post by PAUL O » Sat Jul 18, 2009 9:29 am Etc/GMT-1+01:00

Oh no :shock:

Patrick ... be afraid ... be VERY afraid :shock: :shock:

Patrick Dixon
Forum Hero

Post by Patrick Dixon » Sat Jul 18, 2009 10:12 am Etc/GMT-1+01:00

Now you are both being sexist for assuming that I meant that 'cooking' and 'woman' go naturally together!

Any non-sexist person would see that it was obvious that a non-LFP on an LFP trip would need an occupation. ;-)

Joanna Carter
Founder
Workshop Images: http://grandes-images.com/fr/Paysages/P ... _2009.html

Post by Joanna Carter » Sat Jul 18, 2009 10:23 am Etc/GMT-1+01:00

Patrick Dixon wrote:Any non-sexist person would see that it was obvious that a non-LFP on an LFP trip would need an occupation. ;-)
Ah, but Paul A only said his wife was not an LFP, he never said she wasn't a P (photographer) :lol:
Reassure yourself - stroke an Ebony

PAUL O
Founder

Post by PAUL O » Sat Jul 18, 2009 12:09 pm Etc/GMT-1+01:00

How deep do you intend digging the hole? :lol:

Paul Arthur
Forum Hero

Post by Paul Arthur » Sat Jul 18, 2009 12:15 pm Etc/GMT-1+01:00

Joanna Carter wrote:
Patrick Dixon wrote:Any non-sexist person would see that it was obvious that a non-LFP on an LFP trip would need an occupation. ;-)
Ah, but Paul A only said his wife was not an LFP, he never said she wasn't a P (photographer) :lol:
Quite. She IS a photographer, she just doesn't like all that faffing about with LF gear (frankly, who can blame her).

Incidentally, she has said that she would like to come, providing nobody minds if she doesn't join in the LF buff conversations. If there is a problem with numbers, she's also happy to stay at home.

I'll happily take on the driving responsibilities of the second bus if that helps matters.

Paul

PAUL O
Founder

Post by PAUL O » Sat Jul 18, 2009 12:21 pm Etc/GMT-1+01:00

Okay folks, down to the nitty gritty 8)

Firstly confirmation of dates (slight change to original plan) : Depart Monday 28th June (flight leaves early afternoon) and return 8th July (evening). I would like to get this trip booked and monies (full payment for flights,for vehicle and accommodation) collected ASAP and at the latest by the end of August. I appreciate that June/July 2010 is a long way off but in order to secure best prices on vehicle rental, flights and accommodation as well as organisation of route etc I need a 100% "YES" or "NO" from those on the list ASAP but in any case by the last week in August. If you're still not 100% by end of August I'm sorry but plans will have to go on :cry:
I will then be able to get exact'ish prices as I will know exact numbers :D

The other factor to consider is that accommodation will be shared - in twin rooms. I can check if single rooms are available and can specify this in the booking but this will increase the cost of accommodation for those concerned.

So get thinking / saving / bribing the better-half ASAP.

I will organise a route (plus options) and post as soon as I can.

By the end of August I will need between £980 and £1200 from each person depending on numbers of confirmed participants.

If fewer than 6 people are interested I am still prepared to organise a trip for fewer people!

Last thing - insurance. You will need travel insurance - standard insurance is fine as we are not doing any "extreme sports" and also insurance cover for equipment. You will probably find that your household contenst insurance wil cover equipment taken "on holiday" depending on level of cover.

Good luck!

TimH

Post by TimH » Sat Jul 18, 2009 7:32 pm Etc/GMT-1+01:00

I'm quite happy to do some driving esp. if the beer is er not like Theakstons shall we say.. first time I ever drove anything bigger that a car was a stint in a 12 seater right hand drive minibus going round the auto peripherique around Paris with people spotting traffic in each corner - very scary at the time as its a manic road - made the Swiss hairpin roads look like childsplay.
One thing that you mentioned Paul was gear - I've never tried flying with LF gear - the Nikon stuff goes as cabin baggage when I go skiing with no problems but I'm very wary about checking in an expensive wooden camera.. - you hear of the horror stories esp from the States - how good / bad or indifferent is Iceland gonna be ??? Time to carefully read the small print on the insurance policy I think !!
regards Tim...
Digi-snapper now (finally) turned LF shooter hmm been doing this long enuff - Now LF photog !

PAUL O
Founder

Post by PAUL O » Sun Jul 19, 2009 12:04 am Etc/GMT-1+01:00

Thanks Tim! Driving in Iceland is a real experience 8)

The best thing about it is the roads are sooooooo quiet and sooooo long and straight :twisted:

If you check my blog I have put some info regarding gear etc. The key to travelling with LF is to stash film about your person and only carry-on camera and lenses. As long as the hand-luggage does not exceed size limit you can usually get away with weight restrictions. Every time I've flown I've never had any hassle - I keep expecting someone to stop me and check my hand luggage but it never happens. The security at the X-ray scanners are too busy to worry about weight as they are so busy and the only other potential issue could be with cabin crew but it would appear that as long as it fits into the overhead locker and you can lift it unaided they are (again) too busy to worry! Everything else - tripod, film holders can be cheked. I usually store any photographic gear in small Peli cases inside my holdall and the tripod is wrapped in clothing - head is detached and stored seperately.

Charles Binns

Post by Charles Binns » Sun Jul 19, 2009 7:31 am Etc/GMT-1+01:00

I am interested, in fact prompted to join this group as a result of this prospect. Seeking approval from the c'tee - its not really the money, more 10 days 'off the leash' - but with weekends at either end I am expecting to only need to use 6 days leave.

Very interested and will plan to join you.

CJB

Charles Binns

Post by Charles Binns » Sun Jul 19, 2009 10:26 am Etc/GMT-1+01:00

After sucessful negotiations I can confirm that I am IN, coming along!, Bags Packed already! :D

Please advise confirmation, deposit required etc. as soon as you are are able.

Regards

CJB

Charles Binns

Post by Charles Binns » Sun Jul 19, 2009 10:37 am Etc/GMT-1+01:00

Having now read all the posts would advise the following:

I agree with the 'no camping' view - I love camping, backpacking, snow holing etc. done all sorts but the gear constraint plus LF makes it just too difficult on this occasion based on my experience of past trips.

Otherwise hostels, farms, shared rooms, whatever - go with the flow.

I am also a reasonable Cook (not Chef - just cook!), house trained (good at washing up) and would also pitch in with the driving if a standard car licence will suffice (have driven Vans before).

As soon as trip is confirmed I will forward monies as requested.

CJB

PAUL O
Founder

Post by PAUL O » Tue Jul 21, 2009 1:59 pm Etc/GMT-1+01:00

I've had a look at a possible route that is achievable in the time alloted and looked at accommodation that would fit in with this schedule. It is quite an "intense" timetable :D but I am of the opinion that you really need to make maximum use of available time in such an amazing place ... and there'll be plenty of time for sleep when we get back to the UK!

The route will take in the following locations:

GEYSIR – HOME OF STROKKUR (GEYSER);
PINGVELLIR – LOCATION OF THE ORIGINAL ICELANDIC PARLIAMENT IN A RIFT VALLEY THAT IS THE BOUNDARY
BETWEEN THE NOTH AMERICAN AND EUROPEAN TECTONIC PLATES (PANORAMIC VIEWS ACROSS LAKES);
OXARAFOSS – A VERY PHOTOGENIC WATERFALL LOCATED WITHIN THE PINGVELLIR NATIONAL PARK;
GULFOSS – WATERFALL;
F35 – DESOLATE MOUNTAIN ROAD ACROSS THE INTERIOR WITH PLENTY OF ROADSIDE VIEWS;
HVERAVELLIR – GETHERMAL AREA IN THE UNINHABITED INTERIOR (BOILING MUD POOLS, SULPHUR SPRINGS,
FUMAROLES AND MINERAL STAINED POOLS;
SKAGAFJODUR – FJORD ON NORTHERN COAST;
GODAFOSS – “WATERFALL OF THE GODS” NEAR AKUREYRI ON NORTH COAST;
MYVATN – LAKESIDE LOCATION WITH PLENTY OF WILDLIFE AND MUCH EVIDENCE OF VOLCANIC ACTIVITY (EXTINCT
LAVA FLOWS, PSEUDOCRATERS);
NAMAFJALL – GEOTHERMAL AREA NEAR MYVATN (FUMAROLES, MULTICOLOURED CLIFFS, BOILING MUD POOLS);
HVERFELL – EXTINCT SHIELD VOLCANO (EASY TO CLIMB WITH SPECTACULAR VIEWS ACROSS MYVATN);
KRAFLA – ACTIVE VOLCANIC AREA (SURREAL GEOTHERMAL POWERPLANT FOR GREAT “ARCHITECTURAL VIEWS WITH A
DIFFERENCE”!);
JOKULSA A FJOLLUM – SPECTACULAR RIVER GORGE WITH ADDED BONUUS OF SPECTACULAR WATERFALS AND ROCK
FORMATIONS (SELFOSS AND DETTIFOSS FALLS LOCATED HERE);
DESERTED FARMS – BASE IN EGLISSTADIR ON SOUTH-EAST COAST (NUMEROUS ABANDONED FARMSTEADS MANY
STILL FURNISHED AND VERY SPOOKY!!);
• LIGHTHOUSE AT HVALNES – SPECTACULAR LOCATION!
LON – GREAT VIEWS ACROSS BAY WITH MOUNTAIN AND GLACIERS AS BACKDROPS;
VESTRAHORN – LOCATION OF MUCH-PHOTOGRAPHED ABANDONED FARM (BUT WELL WORTH A VISIT!), LOCATION OF
ABANDONED AMERICAN AIR BASE TOO;
JOKULSARLON – MUCH PHOTOGRAPHED GLACIAL LAGOON WHERE THE BREIDARMARJOKULL GLACIER CALVES
ICEBERGS INTO A GLACIAL LAKE (USED AS LOCATION IN NUMEROUS FILMS SUCH AS TOMB RAIDER AND JAMES BOND!).
OPPORTUNITY TO VENTURE OUT ONTO LAGOON IN AMONGST FLOATING BERGS AND SEALS (NOT THAT GOOD FOR LF
THOUGH!). THE BERGS DRIFT OUT THROUGH A NARROW INLET AND THEN MANY ARE WASHED UP ONTO THE BEACH
(BLACK SAND) WITH ENDLESS PHOTO OPPORTUNITIES (LIKE AN ICEBERG GRAVEYARD!);
BREIDAMERKURJOKULL GLACIER – OFF THE BEATEN TRACK OPPORTUNITY TO GET ALTERNATIVE VIEWS TO
THIS GLACIER (NOT VISITED BY TOURISTS!);
SKAFTAFELL NATIONAL PARK – MORE CLOSE ENCOUNTERS WITH GLACIERS!
SVARTIFOSS – WATERFALL LOCATED IN THE SKAFTAFELL PARK WHERE RIVER DROPS OVER A CLIFF OF BASALTIC
(HEXAGONAL ) COLUMNS;
FJADRARGLJUFUR – WELL-HIDDEN CANYON NEAR KIRKJUBAEKLAUSTUR (STUNNING LOCATION AND NOT
WELL-VISITED);
VIK – SMALL COMMUNITY ON SOUTH COAST WITH BLACK SAND BEACH AND VIEWS TO REYNISDRANGAR (SEA STACKS);
REYNISFJARA – BEACH LOCATED NEAR VIK WITH CLOSE ACCESS TO SEA STACKS AND IMPRESSIVE HEXAGONAL BASALT
CLIFFS (SUPER VIEWS!);
DYRHOLAEY – VOTED ONE OF THE TOP 10 MOST STUNNING BEACHES ON THE PLANET! SPECTACULAR LOCATION
WITH SEA STACKS, LAVE TUBES, BASALT CLIFFS, CAVES AND BLACK PEBBLE BEACH (AWESOME!) PLUS A CLIFF TOP
LIGHTHOUSE WITH EQUALLY STUNNING VIEWS;
SNAEFELLNESS PENINSULA* OPTIONAL IF TIME PERMITS* – WORTH A FEW HOURS DRIVE TO REACH! INSPIRATION FOR
JULES VERNES “JOURNEY TO THE CENTRE OF THE EARTH” – SUPERB COASTAL SCENERY, BLACK CHURCH AT BUDIR,
SNAEFELNESS GLACIER, ARNASTAPI AND HELLAR COVES, FISHING VILLAGE;

This is not an exhaustive list :shock: The one thing about Iceland is that there are photo opportunities EVERYWHERE!
Something to mull over?
Paul

Lynne Evans
Forum Hero

Post by Lynne Evans » Tue Jul 21, 2009 6:49 pm Etc/GMT-1+01:00

Hi Paul! That sounds absolutely fantastic. Unfortunately I haven't a hope of raising the money by August, so will have to pass on this one. Wish I hadn't read the itinerary :( :'(