CANCELLED - Anyone fancy Iceland in June 2010?

Get-togethers and meetings organised by members
stephenl

Re: Anyone fancy Iceland in June 2010?

Post by stephenl » Tue Jul 21, 2009 8:28 pm Etc/GMT-1+01:00

Hi Paul

Count me in provisionally, although it largely depends on the dates.

regards

Steve

Acheron Photography

Post by Acheron Photography » Wed Jul 22, 2009 11:33 am Etc/GMT-1+01:00

Hi Paul

That is a great suggestion: I would definitely be interested if you need one more. Ever since I saw Dan Holdsworth's pictures of Iceland, I've been wanting to take a camera there. http://www.kultureflash.net/archive/23/priview.html

David.

PAUL O
Founder

Post by PAUL O » Thu Jul 23, 2009 12:48 pm Etc/GMT-1+01:00

I've had a few emails regarding availability of spaces, insurance etc and so by way of an update:

If you are 100% committed to coming along next June AND can get the necessary cash together (circa £1000) by the end of August then can you forward me an email ASAP. I will ensure that those on the "original" list get a place so no worries here! I will then compile a list of names and a final cost per person (depending on numbers going).

I have almost completed the proposed schedules. Once I have a confirmed list of names of those coming I will email the itinery and route to everyone. I will also email suggested kit lists for clothing that is suitable for the time of year.

As you can appreciate baggage weight allowances are strictly enforced. Each passenger can check 20kgs of luggage in the hold. Excess luggage does involve additional costs and these are strictly enforced! This year the fee was £8.00 for each kilo over the limit - each way!

I plan on dealing with the booking/money thus:

I will collect cheques from those attending at the end of August. These cheques will be paid into a new account for this trip only. I will then post receipts to everyone to confirm payment has been made!

I will then book the flights (full amount is payable at time of booking) as a group so we (hopefully get to sit together! - this booking is covered by individual's personal travel insurance ( so you get refunded if you cannot make it through ill health etc) as well as Icelandair if flights are cancelled etc.

I will then book the accommodation. This involves the company I'm dealing with co-ordinating the farmhouses/rooms to coincide with our route/schedule. They will offer me a number of options and I pick the most appropriate to our needs - trust me on this one! I will endeavour to get the best accommodation possible but it may involve sharing rooms!

Once this has been confirmed they require full payment. They do however, offer a refund system whereby the earlier you cancel the more refund you get - this is on a (very fair) sliding scale and we can still get 25% refund if we need to cancel 2 weeks prior to arrival - this does not take into account any refund that you would be entitled to through your own insurance but through the company's own refund policy. I am pretty sure that personal insurance would compensate for full amount if conditions of the policy were met. IT IS IMPORTANT THAT PEOPLE GET PERSONAL TRAVEL INSURANCE! and check the small print!

I then need to book the vehicle rental. It is usual for some companies to require full payment whilst others only require a deposit. I will get the best deal available on a suitable vehicle(s) and pay the necessary monies or deposits. If there are outstanding balances to pay I will be responsible for these!

Once in Iceland I will be responsible for paying for fuel for vehicle(s), any additional accommodation costs, tunnel tolls etc from this account. So I will not be asking for people to dip into their pockets!

The only additional money needed once in Iceland is for personal meals/food - as discussed these will be arranged as cheaply as possible. This is important as I feel that this trip needs to make maximum use of available time so I am hoping that people are prepared to eat as basically/cheaply as possible to make best use of time/light and to minimise cost. Of course, if we feel the need for a "proper" meal then that's fine ... but we're not visiting Iceland for the culinary delights :wink:

If anyone has any more questions/suggestions then don't hesitate to contact me!

With regards photographic equipment - this is supposed to be LF but feel free to bring what you want (even digital!). But bear in mind that you will probably want film,camera and lenses in hand-luggage for security/protection and again although there are no strict weights to hand-luggage, the bag you take has to be no larger than 55x35x25cms. As an example; both the Lowepro Pro Trekker and the Tamrac Adventure 10 backpacks will meet this requirement - however any additional side pockets etc will take the size over this so be careful! I also managed to "smuggle" a small laptop bag on board that held boxes of film! Tripod is best in hold luggage - remove head/handles and either wrap in clothes or I have seen people use a small length of plastic pipe which has been used to hold a tripod! Any other bits of equipment (dark slides, etc etc) can also go in hold luggage.

Hope this helps?

Paul

PAUL O
Founder

Post by PAUL O » Mon Jul 27, 2009 3:39 pm Etc/GMT-1+01:00

Hello (again!)

I've had a large number of enquiries relating to spaces on the proposed Iceland workshop!

Can I ask that if you were on the original list of names that you email or pm me ASAP so that I can confirm those who want to go and sort a reserve list??

Many thanks

Paul

PAUL O
Founder

Post by PAUL O » Tue Aug 04, 2009 7:58 am Etc/GMT-1+01:00

Okay folks the following have confirmed, 100%, that they'd like to visit Iceland June/July 2010:

1. Paul Owen
2. Nigel Sutton
3. Tim Hodgson
4. Gordon Mitchell
5. Paul Arthur
6. Charles Binns

I've checked and re-checked my emails and I'm 99.99% positive I've not left anyone off the list :roll: however, if your name should be there please email me ASAP!

Likewise if your name appears on the said list but you've since decided that you can't commit to the trip and would like it removed then please email me ASAP

I will "close" this thread now and all communications with those going will be via personal email 8)

Paul

PAUL O
Founder

Re: CANCELLED - Anyone fancy Iceland in June 2010?

Post by PAUL O » Thu Aug 13, 2009 6:55 pm Etc/GMT-1+01:00

Unfortunately due to rising costs and reduced numbers the proposed workshop in Iceland, June/July 2010 has been cancelled.