scanning colour negatives, how?

A place to talk about photography, the meaning of life and anything that doesn't quite fit elsewhere
AbsolutelyN

scanning colour negatives, how?

Post by AbsolutelyN » Thu Oct 07, 2010 10:06 am Etc/GMT-1+01:00

Updated: An overview of scanning colour negatives:
http://www.tristancampbell.co.uk/scanni ... -negatives

Yesterday it was suggested it would be good to see a thread where people show or explain how they process a colour negative. I know getting colour right is something that puts a lot of people off using colour negs which is a real shame as they are a wonderful medium to work with.

There are many ways of approaching it, usually people start with the built in scanner profiles or use plugins. Here is a rough and ready example of simply scanning the negative as a positive - just one of many techniques you can use.

The scan is from an Epson v750 and the image is taken on Pro160c.

Raw scan - colour negative scanned as a transparency. Make sure you are working with a 16 bit file to avoid losing data in the conversion and try not to clip the data either side of the histogram.

In curves bring the black and white points in to the edges of the image data in the graph - do this for each channel

same for green

and blue

now go back to the rgb view

drag the white point to the bottom and the black point to the top to invert the image

you're going by eye much more from now on. you always tend to end up with a cyan cast so the red channel usually needs most correction. I've clipped the data here for simplicity but ideally you probably want to add a few control point to avoid clipping.

no change to green here

highlights need more yellow so pull black point up a little

done. may not be accurate but it matches my memory of the scene quite well - a brief but pleasantly colourful sunrise on a rather cold and wet September morning. Maybe this is a bad example, and an example with skin tones or a scene without strong colour cast would have been better.

Would be interested to see how other approach the problem.
Tristan
Last edited by AbsolutelyN on Wed Aug 20, 2014 12:10 am Etc/GMT-1+01:00, edited 1 time in total.

scovell001

Re: scanning colour negatives, how?

Post by scovell001 » Thu Oct 07, 2010 10:49 am Etc/GMT-1+01:00

Hi Tristan,

Don Hutcheson offers a very similar process on his website as a PDF document with a photoshop action also included.

I do a very similar thing with levels.Inverting the image first (to get the positive), then holding down the alt key to show the clipping in the levels and adjusting highlight and shadow for each channel. I'll also adjust the mid slider dependant upon the prevailing colourcast.

I imagine the ultimate solution would be to go and shoot a colour checker card with neg film and work backwards from there.

Charles Twist
Founder

Post by Charles Twist » Thu Oct 07, 2010 4:40 pm Etc/GMT-1+01:00

I use a very similar approach. Get close with the scan by roughly setting the levels in the scanner dialog box and then fine-tune in Photoshop with levels and curves on each channel. Does anyone know of a javacript routine to get Photoshop to automatically set the levels to the min and max position on each channel (what Ian does manually with the Alt key)? Would just save a bit of time when processing a lot of files.
Regards,
Charles

gary mulder

Post by gary mulder » Fri Oct 08, 2010 10:25 am Etc/GMT-1+01:00

My method is a more quick and dirty one. That's because I have more fun in the dark room. I try to buy film in a reasonable quantity of a same emulsion number. A do my own C41 with one shot chemistry. So I get a constant color balance.
The first photo I take with a new film is one similar with the one here.
Then a make a profile ore setup in the scan software with the auto mid grey function. And a large margin both sides of the histogram. (That is why the picture looks so dull). After saving this setup all I do is scan negatives from the same emulsion number with this setup in 16 bit . After loading them in PS all I have to do is auto contrast. This gives me a reasonable file for web applications.
The picture here is of course a 8 bit jpg and not set to auto contrast in PS

AbsolutelyN

Post by AbsolutelyN » Fri Oct 08, 2010 4:35 pm Etc/GMT-1+01:00

Ian: Very good info on Don Hutcheson's website, thanks. In the example above I adjusted black and white points only for simplicity, usually I'd end up with a good few control points.

Charles: Good to know others use this type of technique. I don't know of such an action but I'm sure one exists or can be created.

Gary: Very interesting method, thanks for the info! I'm curious on your developing, what chemicals do you use? Are you just using the dev one shot and re-using bleach, fix and stabiliser? I'd like to the same but am not sure where to buy just the dev as they are typically in 5L kits.

gary mulder

Post by gary mulder » Sat Oct 09, 2010 4:55 pm Etc/GMT-1+01:00

Gary: Very interesting method, thanks for the info! I'm curious on your developing, what chemicals do you use? Are you just using the dev one shot and re-using bleach, fix and stabiliser? I'd like to the same but am not sure where to buy just the dev as they are typically in 5L kits.
I use Fuji - Hunt Develper. In Holland obtainable in 2 X 5 liter for 42 euro . I make 5 liter and put it in 300 ml bottles with inert gas on top. A friend and I split the bottles. It keeps ok for about 6 months. Each bottle is for one shot 5 sheet 4 X 5. This way one sheet costs 0,25 euro on developer. Bleach and fix I re-use once. Stabilizer I always take fresh.
Making a smaller amount working solution out of the concentrates gave me color balance fluctuations.

The concentrates keep easily for over a year in unopened packing.

Rod

Post by Rod » Wed Oct 13, 2010 7:35 pm Etc/GMT-1+01:00

Hi,

Tim Parkin mentioned in another topic that one of our forum members (present/past?), Ben Anderson, uses the Colorperfect plug-in for Photoshop for conversion of colour negs http://benneh.net/blog/index.php/2010/0 ... t-a-guide/.

Just wondering if anyone else uses this approach? Cost of the plug-in seems to be around £50. Is it worth it? Is it any easier, better/worse or quicker than the other techniques already described?

I have a few 5x4 negs to scan and would take more in preference to slides (for increased flexibility/reduced use of grads.) if scanning were more simple.

Regards,

Rod.

Ed Moss

Post by Ed Moss » Wed Oct 13, 2010 9:02 pm Etc/GMT-1+01:00

I've just started using colorneg and finally I'm getting results I'm happy with (using ektar and fuji 160s.)Best £50 I've spent.
Give the demo a try and see how you get on.

Paul Mitchell

Post by Paul Mitchell » Thu Oct 14, 2010 8:40 am Etc/GMT-1+01:00

Err.. it was actually me that posted the link and Tim replied to it...

I have been using ColoNeg (the original name) for about a year now and have been very impressed. You can get good results using the defaults plus lots of options to refine. It also does an amazing job with with B&W negs. The only caveat is that all scans have to be linear/raw.

Paul
When people ask what equipment I use - I tell them my eyes.

http://www.paulmitchellphotography.co.uk
http://www.arenaphotographers.com

Rod

Post by Rod » Thu Oct 14, 2010 12:07 pm Etc/GMT-1+01:00

Paul,
Humble apologies :$. Thanks for the comments.
Rod.